How To Unpack In Two Days


So, you are done with your move and need to unpack. Looking at all those boxes is making you feel uncomfortable. Just imagine doing the packing process all over again but in reverse. However, if you put your mind into it, you can do it in about two days. You may even start feeling the energy of your new home as you are unpacking. That is just a thing that comes with moving to a new house. It is the beginning of a life full of opportunity and novelty. They like the packing process and dread the work that is unpacking. Whichever group you belong to, if you want to learn how to unpack a house in two days, you have come to the right place.  So, let’s see what the best way to do this is! 

Follow your inventory

To unpack a house in two days, this is a must. If you had an inventory list during the packing process, this means that you are well organized. That will help you immensely when the unpacking process starts. It is the same, just in reverse. That means that the organization is vital in this part of the move as well. The inventory is probably filled with the contents of each box, preferably divided by room or by type. If you used colored stickers or any other kind of marking, make sure to unpack all the boxes labeled with the same color. Doing one room after another is the best way to be time efficient during this matter. If you have not marked the boxes, open them and look what is inside. You will probably see different types of packing materials before realizing what items are inside, so this is going to take a bit longer.

If you have an essentials box, that is an excellent way to start

Just as the title suggests. The essentials box is not named that way for no reason. You have probably put all your necessities in a single box. The items inside are meant for cases of emergency, and usage on moving day, and a couple of days after that. Moving long distance can be excruciating, so the essentials box is a must. If you do not have an essentials box, just quickly go through other boxes and find things that are most important before you finish the unpacking process. Some of the things you need to get include basic toiletries, medications, books, and paperwork which contains your moving contract, phone numbers, passports, and other essential documents.

The best way to start unpacking a house is by starting with the kitchen

The kitchen has many small items such as forks, spoons, and a lot of fragile things such as glasses, plates and so on. Typically, it is best to finish the most difficult part first, and then move on to easier stuff. You should put your plates and glasses in cabinets and your forks and spoons in drawers. If you do not have a lot of time to finish the whole kitchen, you can take only the things that are necessary for the next few days. That includes some pots and pans, and cutlery for the family members. The easier part of this endeavor is hooking up the smaller appliances. Look for the power supply and put the appliances near it. It can be a temporary place of residence before you decide to finish the whole kitchen. When you have time, you will be able to lay out everything as you like. 

Moving on to bedrooms

Your long move has undoubtedly taken its toll on your fatigue level.  That may sound like just common sense, but some people forget about their fatigue and want to finish the unpacking before resting. That is bad as you will be prone to injuries more. So, it is a good idea to grab your linens and make your bed. When your bed is done, you can do a bit more of basic unpacking. When you unpack a house in two days, you will feel accomplished and feel the energy of your new home. The first night can be emotional for some people. Some are excited to move to a new house, and some are sad about having to leave their old one. Whatever you feel, your beds should be made before continuing to unpack. After that take your clothes and arrange them in closets. A good closet organization is needed if you want to be time efficient.

Laying out and assembling the furniture

When you start assembling your furniture, you also need to think about where you will put it. You probably have the floorplan of your new house or have visited it before moving in. That is essential when it comes to arranging furniture. You should also consider fixing some things before moving to a new house. Assemble your couches and tables first. When you do this, you will be able to assemble the smaller items such as your electronics and bookcases. It is not a good idea to assemble everything and then realizing that it does not fit the idea you had about the room. That includes your bedroom and bathroom as well.

Dealing with the rest

When you have done the hardest parts, you can move on to the bathroom, garage, and basement. That should be day two in your two-day unpacking endeavor. The organization in your garage and basement is not that important at this early stage so that you can leave that for later. Just put the things that belong there, and start enjoying your new home. Go out and introduce yourself to new neighbors. Meeting new people in a new town is by many, one of the greatest parts of moving. With all that said, good luck with your move!

Coastal Carrier Long Distance Movers

Save Money for Your Long Distance Move

Moving can be expensive, especially when you are setting up a new residence across the county. But, the good news is you might be able to save more than you think with some creativity and planning for when that big day arrives. Try going through this list of cost reducing tips to see if you can find more wiggle room in your budget for a more enjoyable moving experience.

Declutter Your Home

So, you have decided to move to a far away land. Sounds like a great adventure! Now, how will you move all your stuff? What if you had less stuff to move? Whether you are selling your home and buyers need to see a move-in ready version of your house or you are wanting to shed some items for a cheaper moving rate, it is time to host that garage sale, upcycle your old clothing and furniture online, or donate unwanted items to those in need.

Going through each drawer, closet and storage bin does not have to be such a heavy chore, though. If you have a few months, set aside time each week for decluttering one room in your home to lighten the burden. Then, try selling your gently used or repurposed items for some easy moving cash!

Declutter Your Finances

When is the last time you reviewed each dollar spent to see if your budget could shed some weight? It has never been easier to download your expenditures from your checking account, savings account and credit card account to see where the money goes. Much like tracking your diet for weight loss purposes, the key to finding savings in your budget is to be honest about all your expenditures and totaling the amount you need to spend versus what you normally like to spend.

Think you have a healthy budget already? There are usually some freebies out there you could use in place of common household goods. Check out this list of freebie finding apps to learn more and use coupon apps like The Krazy Coupon Lady to get more savings. Also, try asking for samples from companies or take a pic of your receipts to upload to a myriad of apps that give cash back or gift cards just for showing them what you bought like Receipt Hog. Use this time to challenge your family on who can save the most before the move.

Locate Cheap or Free Boxes

Admittedly, boxes are getting pricier and options to find free boxes are decreasing with recycling efforts. Check with one of our relocation specialist at Coastal Carrier Moving & Storage for used boxes or on Freecycle, a grassroots nonprofit of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Also, locally owned stores generally do not have crushing equipment, and, despite having a smaller number of boxes to choose from, they may be the perfect place to start because of their nearby location.

Move in the Middle

All moving companies, real estate professionals, and related services will tell you moving in the middle is your best chance and getting the lowest rates for a move. Whenever feasible, plan all your moving appointments in the middle of the week and in the middle of the school year. This is the least popular time to pack up the family, so your moving company, real estate professionals, and other related companies tend to be more flexible with their appointment times and rates.

Pack Light Items Yourself with Labels

There are large furniture pieces that will require extra help packing. Otherwise, if you have the time, purchase your own packing materials and wrap or box your items with proper labelling to avoid the added service fee of having the professionals do it. Then again, with the other tips in this article, you may have saved enough to relax and leave it all to the pros!

Hire a Professional

While this seems counterproductive in the cost savings department, it can actually be a huge help when it comes to your time, avoidance of physical injury, and overall peace of mind. Professional movers offer insurance for your belongings and take all the heavy lifting off your shoulders. Plus, hiring a moving company means your friends and family members are not inconvenienced or injured in the move as well. Purely speaking monetarily, you save significant amounts of money when you compare the xray costs, ongoing chiropractor fees, and missed days at work with hiring a professional moving company.

As shown, there is no shortage of ways to save money for your big move across country. It will likely still be an expense that should be calculated into your reduced budget for a while for most people. However, with these tips, the ability to pack up and live several states away is hopefully more affordable than you thought. For more savings opportunities using professional moving services, contact us today and find out if moving to your dream state is more of a reality after all.

Permanent change of station (PCS) Moves

What is a PCS and how do I do it?




Permanent change of station (PCS) is military jargon for “moving.” How you get your stuff from one corner of the country or world to another depends on where you are headed and what kind of move you want to do.

For contiguous United States moves, known as CONUS (aka the lower 48 states), you have several moving options. You can select a personally procured (also known as do-it-yourself or DITY) move, for which the military will reimburse you through a complicated calculation that doesn’t always seem entirely accurate. You also can select to let military orchestrate and conduct your pack out and move through teams of packers and movers. Or you can do a combination of those two things called a “partial DITY” in which you are reimbursed for moving some of your own items while allowing military-hired movers to do the rest.

You can learn more about personally procured moves here and read some great tips for making it go smoothly here. Or, if you’re going to allow the military to move some or all of your household goods, you can learn about that process here.

For overseas moves, known as OCONUS (including Hawaii and Alaska and U.S. territories that aren’t part of the lower 48), things get a little less complicated in some ways, and a little more complicated in others.

If you’re going to a foreign country, you’re going to need passports and possibly visas for your entire family. You can read about getting those here.

Since there are tighter restrictions on how much stuff you can take with you, the military will pay for you to put some of your belongings in storage while also paying to ship the rest of them. It’ll also pay for you to ship one car overseas. It won’t, however, pay for you to move your pet, and there are some other considerations with moving pets, as well.

Moving overseas can be daunting and scary, but these two sets of tips here and here should make it a little bit easier.

Getting ready for your first PCS? These eight tips may be just what you need.

Financial Tips for PCSing

Coastal Carrier in Utah estimates that during a Permanent Change of Station — or PCS — servicemembers spend an average of $1,725 in non-reimbursable costs. When you consider that most military personnel make PCS moves about every two to four years, that adds up to a substantial amount of money. Here are some tips to make sure you don’t pay more than you have to, and ways to limit the financial worry and stress associated with PCS.

To minimize your exposure in a move, you must understand what the military and Uncle Sam will cover. This topic is too complex and varied to cover just in this column, so we’ll focus on the big items here. But anyone facing a PCS move should consult with their military branch or base transportation and finance resources to determine the full extent of the government’s reimbursable expenses.

Your move will generally be handled by the Transportation Management Office (TMO) or as a Do It Yourself Move (DITY). If you work through the TMO, they will plan a move using a relocation company, removing much of the worry and stress.

However, while a DITY move makes you responsible for coordination, it also offers an opportunity to make some extra money. In a DITY move, the government will reimburse you 95% of what it would cost them to move up to your maximum authorized weight allowance (determined by pay grades and dependents) and supply $25,000 of insurance coverage. In some cases, they will even prepay some of this money. If you plan well and spend less than the government’s payout, you can keep the difference.

Give Coastal Carrier Moving & Storage a call to speak to a relocation specialist about a PCS, residential move or our climate-controlled storage options and get a free in home estimate at 1-866-392-5422 or for more information visit our website at

Older Entries
Get A Free Estimate
Fill out the form or call 866-392-5422 to get your free moving estimate in one business day!
Main Quote Form Sitewide